Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The one with a candleholder DIY

There's no denying, summer is over. Time to whip out the hot cocoa, blankets, lots of books, and candles. During a recent trip to the craft-supply-shop, I got a pack of clay (without knowing what to make of it). I'm like a loose canon in a craft store. I go in there, get all excited, and return home with a big bag full of new supplies (but without a plan). When trying to organise my new supplies and the ones I already had, I came across a bunch of studs and for some reason 'candleholders' popped into my mind. Maybe because the colder months are here, and I always want to cozy things up inside the house when those months are here. So I made a candleholder. Here's how:


What you'll need:
  • Clay (I used a quarter of a kilo package)
  • Studs, different colours, shapes and sizes
  • (A thrifted) glass candleholder
  • A sheet of baking paper, to keep your workspace from getting all sorts of messy

 

 What you'll need to do:

 Form a ball out of the clay

Place the candle holder in the middle of the ball and push it in the clay

 

My ball had gotten quite wonkey, so it needed some re-shaping

Push in the studs, while the clay is still soft



Let it dry, and ready is your candleholder


Are you getting more crafty in autumn and winter? Changing up things inside your home? Any decorating projects in the works? I'd love to here all about your projects!


Een Nederlandstalige variant van deze DIY vind je op DaWanda


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Marieken, I love that the clay you used is the no-bake variety, and the candle holder with the studs turned out very cool!!

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way in a craft store...lol!
    Great new project! You could easily make one for every season :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this candle holder, Marieken! And yeah....I go crazy in craft stores too.:) Almost too crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post Marieken, very inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic project and the candle holder looks awesome. Have a great day, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! We actually have about half a package of clay sitting at home right now. We'll have to do this after my husband gets home in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same way in craft stores! And in the supply section on Etsy. Haha. There's no telling what will end up in my cart.

    This is so cute! I like the skulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! The studs and the skull are really cool. We love candles in the dark, cold months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to play with clay, but i have no idea where to start. thanks for the inspiration.
    Debbi
    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your candle holder. I am the same way. Turn me loose in a craft store and who knows what I will come home with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is great. Looks so good. I also love the way you styled it in the last photo. Here's to wearing our invisible crowns :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments