Thursday, July 16, 2015

The one with the SwanMarket

Last sunday I attended my second market as a seller, at the SwanMarket in Tilburg (a city south of my hometown, which takes a 45 minute ride by train). Lucky for me, my mum went along, to keep me company, to wrap up sold items and between the two of us, we could take more things (and a nice bonus was having someone with me to hold the fort during a bathroom-break :-)

Arriving in the morning

Our set up

the elastic coard keeping cards in place works very well!

I hate having my picture taken, but here's proof that I was there :-)

And an impression of what the rest of the market looked like! 


Awesome necklaces by Naked Design, I'm a fan!

Don't these look delicious!?






I got all sorts of excited when I spotted this one outside!

I had a great day, and I'd definitely sign up for a new market. The kit I made with supplies like pens, pushpins, tape etcetera, made things a lot easier. I kept the kit as it is and stored it in one of the trolleys we took. Last time, I put everything neatly back in its place when I got back, so I needed to make a new kit, next time it will be ready to go! Also, now I know I will be selling at a market again, there is some work to be done, presentation wise. I think I'll treat myself to a banner sometime soon, and I need some sort of display for my tote bags and notebooks. Clever ideas to stand out from the crowd are welcome ;-)
Selling from the comfort of your home, and communicating by computer is a whole different thing than selling from a stall. As an introvert, I never thought I would have liked interacting with buyers as much as I did. Do you like visiting and/or selling at markets?


11 comments:

  1. My experience has been much the same as yours! I expected to hate it, worried, obsessed, and then had lots of fun. I do only a couple a year (because they are exhausting!) but now I sort of look forward to them! I'm so glad it went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What is it you sell at markets? Do you take your chocolates, or linens?

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had another great show! And great that your mom could help you too. My mom will be helping me with 2 shows this fall :)
    Love that van turned into a booth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom's are the best, I hope the to of you will do great. And that van is just so cool, I really like those Volkswagens!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a success 2nd show! Your display is great since everything is very visible. I like how the totes are hanging. I wonder if there is a way to prop up the printed material so it is a little easier for the shopper to view (like a business card holder would do). It is fun to interact with shoppers. You can learn a lot about what shoppers really like.

    The food tables would have been my favorite at the market. :-) Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourites too, I didn't get any of those tarts, but I will treat myself to something good next time :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Marieken! Flea markets are a rare commodity here in the Philippines or at least in Manila. Or probably, I'm not just aware of its existence. It' s all about shopping mall and mass produced products that dominate the place. If there are independent artists, consumers shun away the idea of purchasing because it's a bit expensive than mass produced goods. Not everyone realizes though that they are expensive because they are handmade. Each item was produced with love and care :) ... not machines

    I love your height!!! You look so tall, while me? My Asian genes only got me until 5'3" haha I love your cards, I'm always a fan! I especially love the quotes haha cute, naughty and funny!

    As for displays, I agree that at some point, displays can create difference, as it captures more attention. Don't worry, you will eventually find your own unique display booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might look tall in this picture, but I think it's the angle, because I am pretty short (at least for a Dutchie I am!). I think you would enjoy shopping at one of these markets, I like the vibe, and ofcourse the idea of supporting 'real' people, and not large companies. Also, there was some great looking food :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh the food, my god! Hahahaha And i agree, the vibe of this market exhibitions are so different

      Delete
  5. I would love to do that. My table would have all teacups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!! I am doing my first market from Singapore this coming weekend, it is a two day fair!! Near our home.... but it is a lot of work, esp when you decide last minute, I got approved last Friday...phew! Great that due to slow business on Etsy I have tons of inventory! LoL!
    Hopefully everything will be done! My sweet hubby will be coming with me, really a partner reduces the stress so much!

    My previous ones in USA were really bad, I have even forgotten all about them, what I did, how I prepared..... hopefully the one from here will be a fresh start:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments