Friday, March 7, 2014

The one with the things I liked this week (57)

Last saturday I treated myself to some new craft supplies (there's a DIY post coming up with the white pencils, that aren't white anymore). I planned to do some doodling this weekend with my brand new pens! And glitter tape.... Combining glitter AND tape: awesome! I had some left over cake from tea with friends on saturday, so that was sunday's breakfast :-)


 


On monday, I visited my friends F + R who welcomed a brand new, teeny tiny babygirl named Malin on friday. As a thank you for helping out with the design of the card they surprised me with a perfectly wrapped Holy Mary.
When a baby is born in the Netherlands, it's an old Dutch tradition to eat 'beschuit met muisjes'. Beschuit is the Dutch word for rusk and muisjes is Dutch for 'little mice'). Muisjes are sugar covered aniseed sprinkles. In case you are interested, here are some tidbits about muisjes:
  • there's only one company that manufactures them since 1860
  • there's also a variety that is named 'gestampte muisjes', those poor little mice were crushed...
  • when the Dutch crown princes was born, they were sold in orange for one week only (orange is the colour of our royal family)
  • before the 20th century, they were only available in white. After that, in a mixture of pink and white (for both boys and girls). Now boys have their own blue and white mix
  • Anise was said to stimulate lactation and was a symbol for fertility



 

The last two photo's: a beautiful spiderweb and colourful mail. I am terrified of spiders (I know they won't do me any harm, and I shouldn't be scared of them), but without the spider itself in sight, I thought it was safe to take a photo. 



Other than that, I finally joined Instagram. Are you on Instagram? Where can I find you? Any tips on who (or should it be 'whom'?) to follow?

Are there any special traditions when a baby is born over where you live?

Oh, and I can't get enough of Pharrel's new album and the Weeknd's remix of Drunk in Love.

27 comments:

  1. Beschuit met muisjes are delicious! What a great gift! You made a beautiful card (I saw it on F's FB)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week you've had! Looking forward to your DIY :)
    The gift is beautiful and interesting to know about the muisjes! I thinking about joining Instagram...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your week sounds like a whirlwind--lots going on! I loved reading about the "Beschuit" tradition and the background on it. It seems to me that the Dutch like sprinkles a lot--I remember chocolate sprinkles on toast for breakfast when I was there, I think. And the spiderweb photo is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love our sprinkles! Besides the chocolate sprinkles, we also have fruit sprinkles :-)

      Delete
  4. There's nothing more exciting than new craft supplies! Especially the glitter tape... I love that you ate cake for breakfast. It looks delicious! Since pancake day I've been eating pancakes for breakfast a little too often. Congratulations to your friends and their new baby! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found some glitter tape recently, too! It's so fun and much less messy than using actual glitter for anything. I should find a way to use it again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly thinking what objects could be glitter taped :-)

      Delete
  6. New art supplies is always the best. I use to work in an art store and always wanted to buy everything! Great close up shot of the spider web - good thing it was out and about. Have a great weekend Marieken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working at an art store must be the same (or even better!) as working in a candy shop!

      Delete
  7. Pretty photos - I'm excited about the glitter tape. :) Really fascinating about the sprinkles. I'd never heard that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glitter tape rocks! I think I need to get a new batch soon :-)

      Delete
  8. Che belle immagini, bel post, baci Anglichic

    http://www.angelichic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those first three photos all make me so happy! And though I hate spiders too....the web sure is pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, I don't like seeing spiders. But I don't like not seeing them either, they must be somewhere near....

      Delete
  10. such a great shot of the spiderweb!! Also..that pastry looks tasty. You always have the best food treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the glittery tape next to the striped tape! I once saw a tutorial how to make your own fabric tape and this just reminded me that i never tried it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you try it, please share it on your blog :-) I'd love to know how to make it!

      Delete
  12. Hi Marieken! Thank you for that little history and tradition. I love learning history outside the classroom :) I love it when I learn something new from my fellow bloggers.

    And yes, welcome to instagram! I can't wait to see what you will be up from the new set of crafty supplies.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to your friends, Marieken:) I love the name Malin. I wish we have Muisjes tradition too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gorgeous photos and congratulations to your friends. Really intereting to read about the traditions you have!

    That's exciting for instagram! Mine is @Lailapictures - let me know if you follow. :) X

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments